Skip to main content Skip to footer



Renaissance Brandon Redevelopment Grant

» Redevelopment Grant Information and Application (PDF)

Renaissance Rent Abatement Program

A funding assistance program to help with start-up or expansion expenses of Renaissance District Businesses.

» Rent Abatement Program Information (PDF)

» Rent Abatement Application (PDF)

Renaissance District Tax Credit

A City of Brandon by-law to encourage and assist in the renovation and redevelopment of buildings in the Downtown HUB.

» Renaissance District Tax Credit By-Law

Downtown HUB Secondary Land Use Plan

A City of Brandon by-law to guide all future development in the Downtown HUB.

» Downtown HUB Secondary Land Use Plan – By-Law 7010

Downtown HUB Vision Plan

A Vision for the Downtown HUB that guides Renaissance Brandon’s decisions.

» Downtown HUB Vision Plan

Traffic and Pedestrian Counts

6th and Rosser » Pedestrian Counts | Traffic Counts

6th and Princesses » Pedestrian Counts | Traffic Counts

10th and Rosser » Pedestrian Counts | Traffic Counts

10th and Princesses » Pedestrian Counts | Traffic Counts

Renaissance District

» Background Report

» Background Report Maps

Related Business Resources

» Property Tax Assessment Map

» Heritage Brandon

» Brandon Area REALTORS®

» Community Futures Westman

Government Assistance Program

» Entrepreneurship, Traning and Trade (MB)

Start Up / Expansion Loans / Guarantees

» Canada Small Business Financing Program

» Futurpreneur Canada (Formerly Canadian Youth Business Foundation)

» Rural Entrepreneur Assistance

» The Co-operative Loans and Loans Guarantee Board

» Women’s Enterprise Centre)

» BDC Young Entrepreneurs Program



Provincial Heritage Sites in the Renaissance District

Manitoba Provincial Heritage Site No. 24

1043 Rosser Avenue

» Merchants Bank Building, l043 Rosser Avenue

The Merchants Bank opened its first Brandon office in l882, shortly after the townsite was chosen. This building, designed by the Montreal architectural firm of Taylor, Hogel and Davis, was constructed in l907. A fine example of the Beaux-Arts Classical style of architecture, the Ionic columns and decorative wrought ironwork enhance its stately appearance.

The Merchants Bank was absorbed by the Bank of Montreal in l922. The building was donated to the City of Brandon and served as the first public library from l944–83. The city gave the structure to the Brandon Chamber of Commerce and, following major renovations, it officially reopened in l986. The renewal of this graceful structure maintains the distinctive character of the Brandon business district and ensures that the important building boom of the first decade of the twentieth century will be remembered.


Manitoba Provincial Heritage Site No. 30

30 9th Street

» A.E. McKenzie Company Building, 30-9th Street

Designation Date: January 25, 1988
Designation Authority: Honourable Judy Wasylycia-Leis, Minister of Culture, Heritage and Recreation

Francis Bethel McKenzie died in Brandon in December 1896 and bequeathed his business to his son, Albert, who renamed it A.E. McKenzie & Company in 1897. Dr. Albert E. McKenzie (1870–1964), who operated the company until his death, left a legacy as an eminent international businessman and philanthropist. Under his guidance, McKenzie Seeds became the largest seed production and distribution business in Western Canada. The Brandon Sun commented that “… ‘McKenzie Seeds’ are household words in every agricultural home in all Western Canada.”

This six storey reinforced concrete and brick office and warehouse was designed in 1910 by Thomas Sinclair, a prominent Brandon architect, and constructed for $100,000 by the Brandon Construction Company under the supervision of Thomas Harrington. The utilitarian building has decorative highlights such as voluted shield capitals, which support the second-storey cornice. An eighty-foot concrete seed bin added in 1918 was designed and constructed by the Fegles and Bellows Company.

Keenly interested in higher education, McKenzie established the A.E. McKenzie Endowment Fund in 1939 to financially assist Brandon College. In 1941, he was given the honourary degree of Doctor of Laws by the University of Manitoba. To ensure financial support to the College, the balance of McKenzie’s shares in the corporation were turned over to the provincial government. A.E. McKenzie Co. remained a Crown corporation until December 1994, when it was returned to the private sector.


Municipal Heritage Sites in the Renaissance District

Burchill & Howey Block

908 Rosser Avenue

» 908 Rosser Avenue

Designation Date: February 19th, 1990
Designation Authority: The City of Brandon
Current Owners: Susan & Chris Campbell

The turn of the twentieth century, Rosser Avenue, Brandon’s main commercial thoroughfare, was a lively street, lined with buildings of the finest of architectural quality. One block, between 9th and 10th streets was amongst the best, boasting a number of fine building facades. An example is the Burchill & Howey Block, built in 1906 and designed by notable Brandon architect, W. A. Elliott. The main floor of the structure was originally used by its owners as a retail butcher shop until 1945 when the property was sold to the Gooden family who operated a retail mens clothier business from the premises for almost 45 years.

The design of the building is a study in elegant styling, with arched windows, decorative brick and stone bands and corbel tables set at the top of the parapet wall. The interior includes an atrium and staircase with detail railing leading from the second floor to the third floor, and a skylight located on the roof of the third floor.


Central Fire Station #1

Central Fire Station #1

» 637 Princess Avenue

Designation Date: July 10th, 2000
Designation Authority: The City of Brandon
Current Owners: City of Brandon

The Central Fire Station was constructed in 1911 and stands on the site of its 1882-93 predecessor. It was designed by one of Brandon’s most prominent early architects, W. A. Elliott. The addition of a tower to the original sketches proposed by Elliott was suggested by his young son Egbert. The contract for its construction was awarded to a local builder, A. E. Bullock, for a cost ranging between $37,000 to $40,000.

The architecture of the Central Fire Station combines Chateauesque style with an Italianate tower. Red brick, a steeply pitched roof with protruding dormers, and wrought iron balconies beneath the brackets of the bell tower make this an impressive structure. The main portion of the 2½ storey brick and concrete structure was built of semi fire-proof construction with 13 inch thick walls set on heavy concrete floors with a basement below. It is an excellent example of an early use of concrete.

The Italianate tower contained a large fire bell, known as “Coronation Bell” named in honor of the coronation of King George. The bell was manufactured in West Troy, New York with a weight of 4,400 pounds, a base of 62 inches and a range in the key of “C”. It was removed in 1971 to reduce the stress on the tower and is currently being stored.


Chrest / Fraser Block

1031 Rosser Avenue

» 1031 Rosser Avenue

Designation Date: March 14th, 1988
Designation Authority: The City of Brandon
Current Owner: H.A. Jansen (4906501 Manitoba Ltd.)

The Chrest/Fraser Block is one of the oldest original buildings remaining on historic Rosser Avenue. The building was completed in 1890 by building contractor H.W. Wheedon and cost $13,000 to build. The 3-storey building was designed by notable Brandon architect W.R. Marshall and its large curved windows and Romanesque style make it architecturally unique from other Brandon landmarks. Although the wide central bay is placed off-centre, unity is gained by the now weathered Calgary sandstone arch and mullions which pull the upper two storeys together.

The building was the location for the A.C. Fraser Dry Goods Store, one of the city’s leading department stores, prior to 1909. Mr. Fraser spent some sixty years in the public eye, serving as a member of Brandon City Council, mayor of the City of Brandon, member of the legislature, and publisher of the local short-lived newspaper, The Brandon News. The McKee Academy was also located on the upper floor of the building. In 1899, it became the foundation for Brandon College, which in 1967, became Brandon University.

The building was renamed the Chrest Block in honor of its new owner, Mr. Nick Chrest who along with his brothers, operated a dry-cleaning business at this location until the early 70′s. It is now home to Pennywise Books.


The LaPlont Block

924 Rosser Avenue

» 924 Rosser Avenue

Designation Date: July 24th, 1995
Designation Authority: The City of Brandon
Current Owners: Del & Marianne Firomski

The LaPlont Block was designed and constructed ca. 1886 by F.J. Chubb, a Brandon contractor, for its owner J. LaPlont. LaPlont operated a barbershop and cigar store from the block until 1900 when he sold the building to the Confederation Life Association which occupied it until 1902. Mutter and Lynch Grocers rented the building for their retail business, then subsequently purchased the block in 1905. In 1907 the store was renamed Mutter Brothers Grocery Store and was operated by the Mutter family until the business closed in 1976. Many of the store’s original furnishings and fixtures are on display in Brandon’s Daly House Museum. The two-storey LaPlont Block was designed in the Romanesque Revival style of architecture. The block’s brick facade is highlighted with heavy stone arches on the second floor. Small, semi-circular stained-glass panels are inset across the top of the second-storey arched windows. Decorative end-pieces highlight the cornice above the first floor and the roof line.

The LaPlont block is currently occupied by an optician on the main floor and a restaurant on the top floor and is the only building on the block whose whole original facade remains intact.


Lorne Terrace

Lorne Terrace

» 1133/1137 Lorne Avenue
(Lots 37/40, Block 45, Plan 2)

Designation Date: July 10th, 2000
Designation Authority: The City of Brandon
Current Owners: Murray & Jetta Fletcher

This 2½ storey brick building was built in 1892 by Bell Brothers Construction Company originally as a four unit terrace home, boarding many of the Bell Brothers Construction workers at that time. It is the largest and one of the oldest multiple-family dwellings in the neighbourhood. In 1918, it was converted into an eight suite apartment block and later, in 1979, it was converted into a fourteen suite unit.

The Bell Brothers were the most prominent building contractors in early Brandon and were noted for their use of high quality materials and fine workmanship. The company constructed both private and public buildings and at one time, employed over 40 workers.

This Italianate style structure was built with bricks from the first kiln in Brandon at McVicar’s Brick yard and features such decorative elements as a raised band of brick encircling and forming arches above the windows. The peak of each gable is highlighted with elaborately patterned brickwork including an infilled arch known as a blind arch.

Back to Top